Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pet foods







The lady of the house,
note the distinguished pose.
















Friends?

Every morning at about this time, in other words after my first cup of coffee, I feed the motley crew of two animals. One a long nose and distinguished looking ten year old, young lady dog named Shooter - the apple of her mother's eye. The other a new breed of cat known as Magaliesburg big foot going by the name of Kiger, a loud and unruly animal to say the least, who is visiting his Granny and Grandpa until he flies to Dubai to join his parents there.
As I got the tins out the fridge to inform them of what was for breakfast I thought is there really a pet food company that cares so much about an out of control cat that it specially prepares pilchards in prawn jelly for a palate which prefers lizard and pigeon. I was not brave enough to taste the pinkish mish mash that came out of the tin but obviously Kiger did not believe a word of what was written on the label. He had a few small mouthfuls and toddled off outside to do a bit of personal hunting for what to his acquired taste is good food.
Then when I politely called "Shooter P........... (not a rude word, I am simply protecting her surname) breakfast" and she came jogging in from her morning romp in the garden to a bowl full of beef and boerewors flavour whatever. The look in her eyes was very easy to read, "Mom all this tastes the same and needs garlic. How about a nice homemade stew for a change with dumplings?" Alas, I could not indulge her this morning but then perhaps tomorrow I will go shopping just for the two of them, then come home and feed them good old fashioned Mom/Grandma type food, then and only then will I sit down on the kitchen floor with them and share the meal.
Provided they invite me.

Comment from Shooter "Does that darn cat have to have a bath in my bed?"

No comments: