Saturday, January 3, 2009

An intersection in Pretoria.

While driving on Pretoria Street in Silverton we spotted these street signs at the same intersection.

Afrikaans/French DE BOULEVARD-STRAAT
Not correct, but understandable



English/French DE BOULEVARD STREET
Also incorrect, but understandable



My favorite DE BOULEVA RD
Confusion!



DE BOULEVARD
Makes sense, I think.




I checked in the MapStudio Street Guide and that informs me that it is "De Boulevard Road".
If anyone out there knows what the street, road, boulevard, lane, avenue, whatever really is called, please let the world know. I checked the meaning of boulevard in my dictionary, I quote "a wide street, typically one lined with trees". As a matter of note there are not many trees along that particular section.
I do not wonder any more why I get lost whenever I go to Pretoria.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, that is just like Pretoria and one of the reasons I like it here. In Lynnwood there is a fake Tuscan townhouse complex (think big entrances and double storey houses) that is called 'Villa Chateau'. I like to refer to it as Huis Huis.

Anonymous said...

I love the pics of an intersection in Pretoria, i think this may explain why finding ones way about places can be so confusing. Your site is very beautiful.

Ray